Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to my Focus, and glad I found this forum. . .

I just replaced my rear drums w/bearings and replace the shoes on the rear of my 01 se wagon. Now the ABS light is on, and the brake warning light is on. What now? Where do I start to look? Or should I just take it to the dealership - YIKES! :bang:

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Hmm...Welcome, first off.

Secondly, did you do the job yourself or was it a shop? I have a feeling maybe during the replacement of the drums with bearings that either the sensor ring and/or sensor itself may not be installed properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DOH! yup, forgot to take the ABS ring off the back of the drum assembly. Good thing I didn't throw them away! I'll put them on and see if it makes the red brake warning light go off too. Dang I feel like a chooch!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank goodness for this site, I just had the same problem after replacing the rear shoes & drum/bearing unit...had to dig the old drums out of the garbage. I havent tried removing the abs ring yet, but figured I would ask how you do it before i give it a try. Is it just a friction fit, or is there any type of clip holding the sensor rings on? What do I need to do to remove them and reinstall them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just replaced my rear drums 2008 Focus. Got em from Auto Zone. Now ABS light on. Noticed ABS magnetic sensor ring was not on new drums. Why? Where can I get the correct drums, besides the stealership? Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
You could get the ring off your old drums if you haven't yet discarded them. Otherwise I'd recommend Tousley Ford (or is it white bear lake ford?... I forget what they're called after they changed names).
Since the ring just slips on they don't include them with most new drums. This way they only have to stock 1 part number for the drums instead of 2, and it helps bring the cost down since the ring doesn't really wear out so they don't really need to provide a new one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
DOH! yup, forgot to take the ABS ring off the back of the drum assembly. Good thing I didn't throw them away! I'll put them on and see if it makes the red brake warning light go off too. Dang I feel like a chooch!
You guys just saved my butt on this one. I completely forgot about the magnetic ring on the back of my old drums

1 - 7 of 7 Posts