Ford Focus Forum banner

181 - 200 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Does the k&n use a velocity stack like the steeda?
No, but K&N does replace the stock rubber elbow with a smooth aluminum piece, which the Steeda does not do. IMO, they're both close enough in performance that you might as well just buy your preference.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You're probably rite. The steeda does look a little cleaner under the hood. I will tell you one thing. I called steed a little earlier, I was not very impressed at all with the lack of knowledge of the rep on the phone. All the answers I got were either "I'm not sure" "I don't know" or the wrong info completely. Lost some confidence in their outfit after the call....

·
Grassroots Sponsor
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
You're probably rite. The steeda does look a little cleaner under the hood. I will tell you one thing. I called steed a little earlier, I was not very impressed at all with the lack of knowledge of the rep on the phone. All the answers I got were either "I'm not sure" "I don't know" or the wrong info completely. Lost some confidence in their outfit after the call....
I'm sorry I didn't include Steeda in the comparison, but given the price, I figured the FSWerks and Injen were too close in design to warrant including Steeda also. It was difficult to get those dyno kits sold, and I am pretty sure I would still have the Steeda kit sitting in my office if I included it. I have owned Mustangs for years, and I am not a Steeda fan. In my personal opinion, I believe they have a premium on parts because of the name stamped in them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hear ya. I am and have been a Subaru guy for years. My other car is a track prepped Sti that I road race. I guess I'm used to my interactions with the vendors I deal with on a regular basis for it.. They are enthusiasts who know their ****. I kindly asked the rep for steeda if I could possibly speark with someone who was more familiar with their product. The guy copped an attitude, put me on hold and came back with half an answer and told me the manufacturers hadn't given them much information yet. My last question was " you don't develop in house?"

·
Registered
84 Posts
I picked the steeda intake up but it's only because I scored it for $135 lightly used on eBay. I was going to pick up either the FSWerks or K&N kit before hand. Other than the velocity stack housing I feel it is no better than all the others. It would have been nice to have a better tube from the well designed MAF to the TB, but whatever. I appreciate the effort you put into this comparison Ronnie. Certainly helpful for us.

·
Grassroots Sponsor
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I picked the steeda intake up but it's only because I scored it for $135 lightly used on eBay. I was going to pick up either the FSWerks or K&N kit before hand. Other than the velocity stack housing I feel it is no better than all the others. It would have been nice to have a better tube from the well designed MAF to the TB, but whatever. I appreciate the effort you put into this comparison Ronnie. Certainly helpful for us.
Now THATS how you buy Steeda, haha, gently used.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I am somewhat shocked to hear about this from Steeda. I have always regarded them highly. Maybe that was wrong. Sucks. Maybe they can find a way to improve that.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I say go with the k&n. it's a great bit of kit and I am sure you won't have any regrets

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
question about noise on these aftermarket intakes, i saw a comment that said it was comparable to running with the airbox top off, is that accurate?

i'd like to 'test drive' the noise level before springing for an intake. my zetec with a focussport intake was louder definitely, but not droning or unbearable.

my '13, with the resonator removed, oof - on big mountainy uphills, it's DRONE almost drowning out the stereo. not sure why the difference (vs the zetec), maybe the distance between the intake runners and the air filter was farther in the zetec (since the engine was 180 degrees opposed of the duratec) but man, duratec minus resonator is loud.

also kudos to Ford for the design of the resonator if it eliminated that cacophony, heh.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Mike,
They definitely drone from what I have noticed. I have the FSWerks kit on my car and it is quite loud. But I don't find it terrible. Now the exhaust different story. But that's another post in general. The improved throttle response and that noise to me is worth the very rare occasion for the intake to drone. It's all about compromise really. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The link to the dyno charts are not working!!
I would contact Ronnie directly. He might take a while to get to you but I am sure he could send them to you.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
the links in the OP work now, maybe photobucket was taking a dirt nap or something.

thanks, One Fast Bear. i think ultimately i'm going for it, if it drives me crazy i can remove the intake again and probably sell it for ~80% of my original investment, not too big a loss.

·
Registered
883 Posts
the links in the OP work now, maybe photobucket was taking a dirt nap or something.

thanks, One Fast Bear. i think ultimately i'm going for it, if it drives me crazy i can remove the intake again and probably sell it for ~80% of my original investment, not too big a loss.
Sounds like a plan. You will love it though. For the few times it drones the benefits truly out weigh them. I definitely recommend the FSWerks kit. Not the most expensive but definitely a company that supports the market for sure.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
question about noise on these aftermarket intakes, i saw a comment that said it was comparable to running with the airbox top off, is that accurate?

i'd like to 'test drive' the noise level before springing for an intake. my zetec with a focussport intake was louder definitely, but not droning or unbearable.

my '13, with the resonator removed, oof - on big mountainy uphills, it's DRONE almost drowning out the stereo. not sure why the difference (vs the zetec), maybe the distance between the intake runners and the air filter was farther in the zetec (since the engine was 180 degrees opposed of the duratec) but man, duratec minus resonator is loud.

also kudos to Ford for the design of the resonator if it eliminated that cacophony, heh.
They make more noise because the engine is extremely efficiently.

12:1 compression and variable cam timing does that.

- Drew

181 - 200 of 207 Posts