Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for allowing me to join this forum. This will be the third focus we have owned but the first with a ztec engine. 1week after buying the car it would rev the engine to 3800 rpms then stall out while driving down the road. Was told by a mechanic it was the TPS so I got it home and replaced both the Throttle body and the TPS. I did not have any luck so I have since replaced the mass airflow sensor and cleaned and checked all ground wires. I made sure to reset the pcm but still no luck. When I start the car it runs rough in till it dies and I can smell gas and see gray exhaust(not black). I am at a complete loss now so any suggestions would be welcomed.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Not sure, just throwing stuff out there. Could be a vacuum leak and since you smell fuel maybe the vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator located on the passenger side of the fuel rail. The hose runs from the bottom of it down through the intake and snakes back to below the throttle body where it connects to the intake. Revving could be idle air control(IAC) valve but I wouldn't think that would cause the fuel smell.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Agree, there is a vacuum leak somewhere, without a CEL. Even with a CEL, there is almost certainly an air leak... besides the normal PCV hose leak, I like the idea that there is something wrong with the FRPS line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts