Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - so I took the fun out of a lot of 'the build' and took the easy route. By that I mean I purchased an SVT Focus that already had RS fenders, quarters, and bumpers. For the price I paid, I'd have never gotten both a car and the parts, let alone the labor to get the quarters installed, so I could not pass this up. There are a few issues I have to fix before it can be ready for paint, but that's the point of a project car, right?

The base car is a 2004 SVT Focus. The sunroof was removed as this was in preparation to be a track car - this caused the roof to be warped a bit so that will need repaired. I will be keeping the sunroof out of this as the RS didn't have one anyway (was it even an option?). It also has a half cage and one singular Sparco race seat and pretty much no other interior other than the dash. I will be reversing this process and turn it into a road car again. My WRX serves as a very capable track day car so no need for two. To my dismay, a little too much of the interior is gone - such as the radio harness being cut (why?). So in addition to building the car into a more complete RS, I'll have to do some repair and replace, too.

I've already been sourcing parts and I've made some executive decisions overall. This won't be made into a 100% authentic RS replica. It will be close on many fronts and very respectable. The exterior will be spot on, the engine will be staying an SVT w/ 6spd (I will be adding a turbo down the road), and the interior will be a mix of US and EDM pieces. I'm still up in the air on color. I dislike the car in white and while I love Imperial Blue, I'm not sure I'm sold on that either. Considering there are less than a dozen of these in the US, I could pick any color and probably never run in to any of you unless at Focus Rising/Carlisle someday, so duplicating a color that's been done isn't off the table for me.

Without further rambling, here are the preliminary pics of the car as it arrived to me (well after a wash). I'll be updating this as things start to appear and/or get completed. I'll also preface this thread by stating that while I'm very mechanically inclined and know welding and paint basics, I do not have the room or set-up at my house that some of you do to complete these more on your own. I wish I could, but if I waited for that, it'd never get done until I bought a new house!

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
So jelly!!!

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
White wide body....mmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
So glad you went this route instead of sourcing and building the body yourself! It will save you a lot of time and money! If you are thinking of one in a certain color let me know as I have pictures of just about everyone done in different colors across the world and I can show you examples.

As of right now this is the only white one over here. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As of right now this is the only white one over here. :thumbup:
Yeah... I've always liked the normal ZX3 in white, but it just does absolutely nothing for me on this widebody. I already have a pearl white WRX, so I don't really feel like taking it that route. We'll see...

What is the color count in the US? I know of the following:

1 x Infra Red
1 x CD Silver
1 x Pitch Black
1 x Silver / Blue
4 x Imperial Blue

If you don't mind throwing those multi-colored RSes in a Flickr/Photobucket album and sharing the link, that'd be awesome!

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I'd love to see one done in the mk2 RS green :)
I also have a deep love for liquid grey, but it seems pretty common across the pond to have the car wrapped in dark grey
might also be cool to see one in another stock color that would never be on an RS, like Tundra or Dirt Brown

I wonder how many we actually have over here nowadays...

NZWNRZ- Imperial Blue
Spudo- Imperial Blue
Bwhit- in progress, says either white or CD silver
Rudel- CD silver
Theilt1- Imperial Blue
Lapse138- Pitch Black
Zetecpwr- Sonic blue (sold car)
WuNgUn- Sonic blue, never completed and I think up for sale/sold
SVT2RS- Two-Tone CD silver/Imperial Blue (For Sale)
Me- Infra Red
Yours

I know Cayse has most of the parts collected and plans to do his Infra-Red, just not sure when he'll do it.
There was another infra-red one in progress but I forget the member's name...he since sold everything off and has disappeared from the forums
There was also the HTP yellow car that they were converting but they went belly-up and no word on what happened with the car

Basically, there's probably a few people hoarding parts and not talking about it so there may be a few cars out there un-accounted for, but there's at least 10 for sure.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd love to see one done in the mk2 RS green :)
I also have a deep love for liquid grey, but it seems pretty common across the pond to have the car wrapped in dark grey
might also be cool to see one in another stock color that would never be on an RS, like Tundra or Dirt Brown
If I don't do Imperial Blue, it's probably going to be an more uncommon color with the Mk2 RS Green being one option. As this won't be a daily driver, having an extreme color won't be as obnoxious. We'll see...

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I was going to do the green but decided against the added work of painting the door jams and engine bay....The amount of work I was putting into the car myself was so much that I figured I had to either put in a lot of work to change the color or go with stock color to minimize work but maximize the finished product

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to do the green but decided against the added work of painting the door jams and engine bay....The amount of work I was putting into the car myself was so much that I figured I had to either put in a lot of work to change the color or go with stock color to minimize work but maximize the finished product
Yeah, since my interior is stripped, painting the jambs isn't as big of a deal. The engine bay will be a little different, but as the color was black when stock, it won't be too noticeable and when I pull the engine down the road I'll get it sprayed whatever color I choose.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Yeah, since my interior is stripped, painting the jambs isn't as big of a deal. The engine bay will be a little different, but as the color was black when stock, it won't be too noticeable and when I pull the engine down the road I'll get it sprayed whatever color I choose.
yeah, starting with a black car makes it easier....since a lot of times people paint engine bays black anyways.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
RS Green or just give the car to me.

See what I did there?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Awesome! This was JPadilla's car before, right? I recognize the missing quarter panel strips. Maybe S2 can fab some up for you using modified US ones.

I'm curious what a Screaming Yellow RS may look like :D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Remember it's sitting on stock 16's, new wheels may do wonders to bring it together in white. Or, RS green.
I have pics from the previous owner with the car mounted on 17x9s. Yeah, it looked a lot better, but I think other colors really make the flares pop on this car that white just doesn't do.

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
liquid grey.
I'd always thought that colour was called Dolphin Grey :dunno: And Yes, I'd agree it is a great colour...only ever seen that colour on a Ford once. One of you guys must bite the bullit and build a white one.

Soooooooooooooo Coooooooooooool.

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
The sunroof was removed as this was in preparation to be a track car - this caused the roof to be warped a bit so that will need repaired. I will be keeping the sunroof out of this as the RS didn't have one anyway (was it even an option?).

Nope! And don't be mislead by the term phase 1 or phase 2 either.

You'll most likely be tilting your head to one side trying to work that out.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I'll preface this post with the fact that the previous owner used this as a race car. I get that which is why he probably didn't care too much about...

The color is basically a primer white but with a quick layer of clear over it. The jambs were not done and there is a ton of overspray on most of the stock trim/moldings. It definitely will need to be sprayed a proper white metallic if I'm going to keep it this color, but chances are it will be changing.

·
****ney-4-Life!
3,685 Posts
Well I'll preface this post with the fact that the previous owner used this as a race car. I get that which is why he probably didn't care too much about...

The color is basically a primer white but with a quick layer of clear over it. The jambs were not done and there is a ton of overspray on most of the stock trim/moldings. It definitely will need to be sprayed a proper white metallic if I'm going to keep it this color, but chances are it will be changing.
You'll gather that I own a blue focus (That hot one people keep banging on about)....

If I may...spray it brilliant white...put bigger rims..say 225'40 ZR 17/18.

The worlds your oyster.

And for the love of god..please overspray that eyesore of the RS logo on the front mesh!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 215 Posts