Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the listing: "1980 Chevrolet Chevette 2-dr.hatchback sedan with deluxe trim in bright red, and ONLY 8800 indicated miles since new. Maybe one of the best one in existence. Powered by the 1.6 litre, 97.7 ci. / 70 h.p. I-4 cyl., automatic, radio, heater, cold air conditioning and wheel trim rings. A former lady owner for 99.9% of its life. Lots of paper documentation comes with car. Actually has original tires still on car, we are including a brand new set of radial whitewalls for safety as well."

I'm sure its the best one in existence, given the low mileage. Can't have seen any Ohio winters, since its not rusty.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/chevette/1926695.html

·
Registered
317 Posts
I like seeing unloved survivors. Cant be many, if any left like this.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear you on that. But maybe it's such a low mileage example because it wasn't worth driving even when it was brand new.

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's the "Best in existence" it's still a Chevette, they were crap when new and they're still crap no matter what condition they're in. I have a really tough time understanding some peoples fascination with 80s vintage crap cars like Chevettes and Tempos.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mint condition turd is still a turd.

Unless someone was nostalgic about that first car. I mean, I'm searching for my exact model 1981 Datsun 210 SL, white with dark blue, light blue and black stripes down the side, factory sunroof, rear window washer and wiper (pretty rare for 1981), pretty much every option except automatic tranny.

Car was a screamer! Bought from Arizona, where the guy had put a Weber carb on it, positraction rear end (different ratio than stock) and 2.5" race exhaust. 1.5L I4, alloy head, 6500 redline, could flog it in 4th gear to above 5000 shift into 5th and stand on it. Got it up over 5000 in 5th a couple times (25 MPH/1000 RPM).

Handled like a go cart.

Of course this was all when I was an irresponsible high school student.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
This thing is awesome, hopefully a collector gets it and keeps it well taken care of

Doesn't matter if it's the "Best in existence" it's still a Chevette, they were crap when new and they're still crap no matter what condition they're in. I have a really tough time understanding some peoples fascination with 80s vintage crap cars like Chevettes and Tempos.

-Steve
You're obsessed with a Focus. There is literally no difference aside from time frame of production.

20 years from now a clean Focus will be for sale, you'll say; "check this out, I can't believe it's so clean!" and some other dude will be like; "it's just a pile of **** focus calm down".

- Drew

·
Registered
840 Posts
This always makes me wonder if my 2000 Electron Blue Honda Civic Si with around the same mileage (8500) is going to be worth anything in the years to come. It's just about completely stock, and I've done what I can to preserve it for the next owner, whoever that will be.

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
This thing is awesome, hopefully a collector gets it and keeps it well taken care of

You're obsessed with a Focus. There is literally no difference aside from time frame of production.

20 years from now a clean Focus will be for sale, you'll say; "check this out, I can't believe it's so clean!" and some other dude will be like; "it's just a pile of **** focus calm down".

- Drew
MASSIVE difference, even the cheapest most base model Focus is so superior to a Chevette it's not even funny. I would also never, ever expect a Focus to become a collector car except possibly for the SVT and even then I wouldn't hold my breath.

The Chevette was a cheap, poorly made car in a world of poorly made cars. Where is the redeeming value? In the rear diff which was apparently made of glass? In the door glass itself which was notorious for shattering all over anyone unfortunate enough to shut the door a little too hard? Thankfully I never owned one but I had friends that did and I got to drive, ride in and work on them plenty. No fond memories here and this is from when they were still common, fairly new cars.

I would also not call myself obsessed with the Focus, I do like the Focus and I do enjoy owning and driving them but obsessed is overstating it.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...The Chevette was a cheap, poorly made car in a world of poorly made cars. Where is the redeeming value? In the rear diff which was apparently made of glass? In the door glass itself which was notorious for shattering all over anyone unfortunate enough to shut the door a little too hard? Thankfully I never owned one but I had friends that did and I got to drive, ride in and work on them plenty. No fond memories here and this is from when they were still common, fairly new cars...

-Steve
Wasn't the floor made of plywood, or was that the Omni/Horizon?

Guy on our wrestling team in high school had a new diesel Chevette. 4 speed, AM radio, total stripper, cheapest new car his parents could buy. He called it the Sh!tvette.

We were screwing around throwing rocks at night at a rowboat fishing anchored in the reservoir. They yelled at us to stop, we were like "Screw you!" (something like that) and kept throwing them.

Next thing we heard an outboard motor start up, they beached the boat near us and 2 adults got out. Pretty big guys to teenagers. They both had oars in their hands, and we piled into the car. He started it up, put it in gear and popped the clutch. Unfortunately, he had it in reverse and we almost backed down the launch ramp into the water.

He was so panicked he couldn't get it in first or second gear to get away. As he was pulling up the ramp (almost stalled out, probably since he was still discombobulated) one of them swung his oar right into the windshield. Spider webbed it.

His parents were away for the weekend, and the next day we kicked out the busted glass. Drove to a glass repair shop wearing our chemistry goggles.

Pooled our money, and had about $80. The replacement windshield was $100, and he said "Let's make a deal."

Guy said "Who do I look like, Monty Hall? Hundred bucks, kid. That's how much it costs. Or maybe you want your parents to pay for it?"

My buddy said "Sir, $80 is all I have."

He said "I guess I can replace it for $80."

When we picked the car up later that day, he had reused the seal, and had duct tape in places where it had torn when we kicked it out.

Parents never said anything to him.

And from what I understand Cheverolet bought diesel engines from Volkswagen. They were decent in the first generation Rabbit (before diesel-gate), but a total dog in the 'Vette.

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
This always makes me wonder if my 2000 Electron Blue Honda Civic Si with around the same mileage (8500) is going to be worth anything in the years to come. It's just about completely stock, and I've done what I can to preserve it for the next owner, whoever that will be.
A well preserved EM1 Si should be worth something right now. Not Type R money, but still.

Hold onto that thing, I will want it in a few years. lol

- Drew

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Wow, 1980 is smack dab in the middle of the American Dead-Car era, and this is one of the worst examples of dead-car. No handling, no power, no accoutrements, no respect. That said, it would be a super-classy college student's car today... probably even a "chick-magnet" for a hipster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts