Ford Focus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts
Did you change the flywheel? If so it's flywheel chatter, and that's normal. I have a centerforce clutch and 9lb flywheel, and mine chatters LOUD.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had the flywheel machined. Assuming the clutch had never been changed, it should be the stock flywheel. It's not like it's a big issue, it's just really loud and kind of embarrassing lol. Maybe once I get an exhaust bolted up it will drown out some of the sound...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did you change the flywheel? If so it's flywheel chatter, and that's normal. I have a centerforce clutch and 9lb flywheel, and mine chatters LOUD.
I only had the stock flywheel machined (assuming it was stock) so should the chatter still be normal? It does it the entire time the car is running. It's loudest when it's being lugged in gear at low rpm and when I'm doing about 70 on highway then let off. Starting to really hate it...

I'll try to get vids up soon.

·
I'm bringing Zetec back...
3,345 Posts
I have no experience with a machined flywheel, but the balance could be way off perhaps. I had my clutch and flywheel spin balanced before installation. My chatters loudly at idle, not all the time.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
No reason the factory flywheel should chatter at all, like Gerald and yourself I have the Centerforce clutch but I've got a Clutchmasters 12 lb flywheel and mine chatters when the clutch is engaged at idle, other than that nothing.

Check the balance.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Nice, u do RC as well?

I've had several.

Wheely king made scale MAX-D
Traxxas slash
HPI savage flux

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yup I race a lot. I run a Team Durango DESC410 4wd SC truck and a DESC210 2wd SC truck. I'm running the RC Pro Texas State Series in the Pro 4 SCT class and after round 4 I believe I'm leading in points. Currently I have Venom batteries as a sponsor but I'm working on a few others ;)

You race much or just have RC's for the fun factor?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I will be getting my flywheel checked soon. I'm going to change tranny fluid as well. I don't think the shop used the right fluid...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well here is a pic of the family. :D
My dropped 07 Ram, of course my ZTW, and the "wifey's" (as the kids say) 2012 SRT. Just wanted to share a bad pic from an old phone :rolleyes:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hell yes! Gotta love a functional whip!

slightly off-topic:

Do any of you RC guys have experience with a quad-copter AND plan on going to Focus Rising 2014?!?!?!

I'd love to take the risk of strapping my GoPro to the bottom and getting some sweet aerial footage of the Focus Showfield... and I'd only feel moderately comfortable letting experienced RC-heads pilot one with my camera on it!

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
The 'tractor noise' is 100% normal. All MTX75s do it and is more apparent with more clamping force behind the trans.

It's just the clutch/fw assembly transmitting gear rollover noise as sound. It's worlds worse with an aluminum flywheel.

- Drew

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yup I race a lot. I run a Team Durango DESC410 4wd SC truck and a DESC210 2wd SC truck. I'm running the RC Pro Texas State Series in the Pro 4 SCT class and after round 4 I believe I'm leading in points. Currently I have Venom batteries as a sponsor but I'm working on a few others ;)

You race much or just have RC's for the fun factor?
Mostly for the fun but I'm gonna try and get more competitive with the slash. The hobby store here (eliminator RC) has a race track that they host races and give out prizes and stuff and its a fun time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hell yes! Gotta love a functional whip!

slightly off-topic:

Do any of you RC guys have experience with a quad-copter AND plan on going to Focus Rising 2014?!?!?!

I'd love to take the risk of strapping my GoPro to the bottom and getting some sweet aerial footage of the Focus Showfield... and I'd only feel moderately comfortable letting experienced RC-heads pilot one with my camera on it!
Well I'm not much into the quad-copters but my dad is. I can drive the crap out of a car/truck but can't fly a kid's toy to save my life! lol But my dad is pretty good with them and is looking to get a sweet GoPro-toting quad-copter soon. If that happens, I'll make him go with me to FR '14. :thumbup:
We will probably have plenty of practice filming races before we make it to FR. I'll give you a heads up for sure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The 'tractor noise' is 100% normal. All MTX75s do it and is more apparent with more clamping force behind the trans.

It's just the clutch/fw assembly transmitting gear rollover noise as sound. It's worlds worse with an aluminum flywheel.

- Drew
Yeah I've heard that quite a bit lately. I was told it's particularly loud because the flywheel has 103k miles on it and was just machined so there is probably and ton of space in there for it to smack the pressure plate around. I hate how loud it is now so maybe an aluminum flywheel is out of the question for now... until the car has some real bite to it

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Mostly for the fun but I'm gonna try and get more competitive with the slash. The hobby store here (eliminator RC) has a race track that they host races and give out prizes and stuff and its a fun time.
The Slash is a good starter truck. It was my first short course truck and I modded the crap out of it before I sold it to get into more performance-oriented racers. It's all about fun. I have to remind myself sometimes of why I got into the hobby to begin with, the fun! If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong! :thumbup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
How awesome... can't catch a break!!! :bang:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Instead of pulling the axle on my contour, I used the funnel method. It worked surprisingly well for replacing CV boots. Youtube it if your not familiar.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
tore your CV boot? I just replaced my passenger side CV on Sunday!
Was it difficult at all? What's the estimated time to replace it?

Instead of pulling the axle on my contour, I used the funnel method. It worked surprisingly well for replacing CV boots. Youtube it if your not familiar.
I looked up the "funnel method" and it seems pretty easy. Not a bad way to save money and time. I think I may try this if my CV joint isn't exposed to the elements long enough for debris to get in there.

Also this past weekend I did the ever popular "fog light mod" and fit up a Mach-1 lip to the front end! :D I've had quite a few guys come up and say how the minor mod changed the entire look of the car. Pics to come soon.

·
Registered
134 Posts
All I remember is that I tried to use car wash soap and it made it too sticky and failed at the first attempt. I think they recommended dish soap. Trust me is was night and day. Maybe a little drop of water will make slicker.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts